Monday, October 19, 2009

Spending Confessions – Can My TV Stop Working?

Do you secretly wish that your TV would break so you can get a brand new one?

Or that your shoes would rip or your hat stolen? These are evil thoughts and may make no sense to the logical person, but they are real, they play a part in our lives, and they affect our decisions in addition to our emotions.

I lost one of my golf clubs the other day at a public place, but it was gone by the time I returned to pick it up. I checked lost and found too but no one turned it in. Yet, a little part of me is celebrating. When every part of my brain is sending signals of frustration, a little devil is cheering the rain of happiness.

I’m extremely happy that I’m fortunate enough to be able to splurge a little without feeling guilty, but it doesn’t mean that I should be totally irresponsible. For those who spend lavishly, there is never going to be enough money. If you sometimes feel like the devil is getting out of hand, adapt from what I plan to do.

  1. Don’t Replace it Right Away – It’s always been a few days and no one turned it in, so chances are slim to none that it will show up. However, you never know. Not having that club when I play next time will also teach me that losing it is actually bad for me.
  2. In Fact, Wait Till Christmas – Let’s kill two birds with one stone. I know I will find an excuse to buy something for Christmas. Why not wait till then so I don’t buy something else for myself during the holiday season? It’s really only several weeks away.

In addition, the usual benefits of waiting apply here – possible sale, new versions from manufacturer, and me finding out that I didn’t need it in the first place are all possible scenarios that will make delaying the purchase a good one.

Ahh, I already feel better with my decision to wait.

Is there anything that you wished just broke or disappeared so you could buy one brand new? It’s okay. No one is judging here. Type away!


Related Articles at Personal Finance Blog by Money Ning:


Read more of Spending Confessions – Can My TV Stop Working?…



No comments:

Post a Comment