Folks traveling home after the Christmas holiday, have noticed stepped up security at our nation’s airports. Why? Because security has been ramped up after a major scare on Christmas day, when a would be terrorist Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, tried to take down a plane in Detroit. Luckily, the detonator malfunctioned, and some quick thinking passengers subdued him.
I’m sure there are questions being raised, like why would someone, who was on a US terrorist watch list, not be on a no-fly list? Or why was he not even designated for special screening measures. How did he get the chemical explosives? And why, after his father had contacted the US Embassy about his sons radical behavior was there no follow-up done? Those answers are probably being sought now, as well as how can this be avoided in the future.
The Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has said new security measures will include increased ‘pat downs’ and gate screening. There will also be other measures in place that are designed to be unpredictable, so passengers will not necessarily go through the same screening measures from one airport to another. Due to all the holiday travel, passengers are being advised to allow extra time for check in.
Most people who are traveling are taking all this in stride, and would rather take extra time to ensure they have safe flights than have a repeat of the Christmas day scare.
For more on today’s hottest stories, check out our top searched list. What other big stories happened today? Let us know! Come back for tomorrow’s Hot Searches and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for daily updates. Are you curious what is hot in the Europe, check out the UK Hot Searches.
Don’t forget to check out our Year End Hot Searches!
Hot Searches for December 28 2009.
1. EMC- Data storage company shares rise
2. PETN - Explosive used by attempted bomber common and widely available
3. Ivana Trump - Escorted off of plane in Florida
4. Jim Caldwell - Controversial move ends Colts no loss streak
5. Percy Sutton - Civil Rights attorney and Harlem political pioneer dies at 89
6. Urban Meyers - retracts resignation, takes leave of absence
7. Charlie Sheen - Accused of having weapon during domestic violence
8. Janet Napolitano - Admits aviation security system failure
9. Jesse Stone - Tom Sellick plays roll of police chief in 5th movie on CBS
10. Alhaji Umaru Mutallab - Contacted US Embassy with concerns about his son