Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Top 7 annoying grammar mistakes on Facebook

Editing marks cover a printed page.

Oh, how I wish I could do this to Facebook. Image from Flickr.

The Internet has done countless wonderful things for humankind. However, it has also served to highlight people's lack of regard for the written word, specifically when it comes to grammar, punctuation, capitalization and spelling. Most days I feel I must not waste time being annoyed by the countless errors I'm subjected to as I read through my friends' status updates on Facebook, but sometimes it is just too much to bear. If you want to make the day just a little better for your cousins, your grammar-loving friends, your mom and especially me, avoid these common Facebook mistakes.   You can learn to avoid these mistakes without needing cash loans for tutors.

1. Misusing "your"

For some reason this word seems to be misused more often than it is used correctly. If you are using the contracted form of "you are," the word is "you're," with an apostrophe and everything. Take the extra two seconds to think about what you are writing and get it right. You double check your information before you submit a personal loan application, right? Your is possessive, as in "your Facebook status."

2. Apostrophe usage

Many people have decided that using apostrophes is unnecessary when posting message for all the world to see on Facebook. This can result in unclear communication and, more importantly, annoying me. When you're using a contraction or making a word possessive, go ahead and use apostrophes. It will make your pinky feel useful. ... click here to read the rest of the article titled "Top 7 annoying grammar mistakes on Facebook"



No comments:

Post a Comment